Thursday 6 March 2014

Memoirs of a Gate Shift

This is simply how I redirect people to pay before getting in.
Oh, the blue coat?  Pfft, American? Please -- Royal Artillery

Now, you may or may not be aware of this, but I freakin' love my job. Shocker, right?

However, as in any job, there are one or two parts that you just don't share the same enthusiasm for. In my case, it's gate shifts.

It's pretty much exactly as it sounds -- you stand at the front gate (shown above) for up to an hour and let people in when they've paid. Don't get me wrong, it's not difficult; it's just not as thrilling as actually interpreting the history in one of the buildings.

On occasion, you'll get the couple that wants to talk in depth about a topic (awesome), but when you're on gate duty, this means frequent interruptions to let people in and show them where to go (not as awesome).

And the pictures -- oh dear lord, the pictures.

Turns out, when you dress in period uniform, it makes a great photo op (I can Google Image search myself in up to 20 different countries now).

Since my FAQ post proved very popular, I've decided to make another list -- this time, it's the top six cases of mistaken identity of me at the front gate:

6. An American
- When I'm wearing blue as above, fair enough; but when I'm in the red? C'mon.

5. A real Canadian soldier
- Hey, we'll get camouflage eventually!

4. A Mountie
- Close, but I'm not allowed to arrest people. Anymore.

3. A border guard
- Seriously, how do you people not realize you've crossed the border?

2. A mannequin
- Standing perfectly still under the hot sun is worth scaring the hell out of people.

1. A clown
- I wish I was joking. If clowns are bringing bayonets to your parties, it's already too late for you.

That's all for now, folks!

-J-

13 comments:

  1. I can just picture your face when being mistaken for any of these! Cannot believe people have mistaken you for a border guard...HOW!? like you said, wouldn't they notice they crossed a border? You seem to really enjoy your job. (minus the gate shift) I'm hoping to one day love my job as much as you love yours, hopefully that will become true in April.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree, I think it's amazing how much you enjoy your job. It is really refreshing knowing someone that talks very highly of where they work instead of complaining. On the other hand, a clown? They cannot actually be serious with that. Tourist always have an amusing understanding towards the Niagara region I find. All 6 of those mistaken identities just made me laugh! Thanks for sharing this Jarrod.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A border guard? Thats amazing, I actually laughed out lout from that. I agree with Alessandra, I think it's cool that you enjoy your job, not many people do these days. Thanks for sharing Jarrod, I hope the next time your on a gate shift someone is looking for an in depth conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every single one is true, I promise you. I almost start to look forward to gate if it means I'll have another crazy story to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is super funny!
    Love reading the insights of what happens in Fort George.
    I can tell you love your job; the passion flows everywhere.
    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jarrod your blog is awesome! You bring a relative element to the War of 1812. Your passion and knowledge really shows through! I hope you continue to infor-and entertain-us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a great talent to combine serious information with light and relaxing jokes! I got to know a lot of new information as we didn't learn a lot about the War of 1812 at school. Thank you for a great post, Jarrod!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These F.A.Q.'s are hilarious - I can sympathize with receiving ignorant and comical questions from tourists. This is the best way to get your revenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh it must be so nice to be so passionate about what you do, Jarrod. And I can totally relate - tourists always seem to say the darndest things. I remember an American calling in when the American government had been furloughed - asking if our Canadian hotel was still open because of the US government shutdown.

    You can't imagine how much I wanted to tell him that our staff had been furloughed as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. People must be pretty naive to mistake a soldier for any of these!! Your passion certainly comes through you writing, Jarrod! Teach the tourists...you'll make them better people by doing so!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You make me laugh...you should publish a book On the other hand, I have learned a lot too from your blogs..

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how much you love your job - it really shows! and the mistaken identities is hilarious !! gotta love the funny stories you can share after work haha (Lexa)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I envy your passion for your job! It is my hope to one day find a job I am this passionate about. Your positivity is so encouraging.

    ReplyDelete